The Outreach Committee serves as a conduit between this compassionate congregation and those who struggle to live mostly without the benefits of secular society. We seek to change the lives of the marginalized and oppressed among us. We seek to connect with other people and communities in faithful service to God’s justice. In doing so, we seek to be changed ourselves.
Committee members – Sarah Hanson, Sue Nelson, Mark Nelson, Laurie Davis, Dan Crump (chair)
Some of the committee’s efforts include:
- Partnership with NAOMI(North Center Area Congregations Organized to Make an Impact), a regional organization of faith communities. Website: https://naomiwausau.org
- Support of PDC’s Orenda Centerdomestic abuse shelter.Website: https://www.pdcmarshfield.com
- Support of S.O.S.(Soup or Socks), NOW (Nutrition on Weekends), and Summer NOW (Nutrition assistance for school age kids during summer recess)
- Promotion of the endchildpovertywi.com program
- Facilitating annual trips to the Urban Immersion Service Retreat Centerin Minneapolis, MN Website: https://www.uisr-mn.org
- Ongoing development of a Jubilee Interfaith Banquetto celebrate and provide a networking opportunity to faith communities engaged in providing assistance to those in need.
- Immigration Action Team(IAT) — the IAT serves to identify and implement ways our congregation can assist our undocumented neighbors who, stonewalled by a broken immigration system, pay the price of citizenship without receiving any of the benefits. The Team’s past and current projects include:
- “Know Your Rights” workshops to connect undocumented neighbors with expert legal advice
- REUNIR bracelet program
- Having been formed as a sub-committee of the Outreach Committee, IAT has formally emerged from that formative umbrella and now operates independently as a committee of Session.
- Additional IAT members: Darlene Berry, Patty Brink, Michelle Comeaux, Barb Gillespie, Michele Gorke, Amber Kiggens-Leifheit, Karen Mitchell, Tracy Olson, Jamie Siorek, Rika Schmelzer, andColin Webster