First Presbyterian Church maintains a Medical Equipment Loan Closet available to those in need of assistance. The loan closet is staffed by volunteers and does not have set hours of operation. The loan closet operation is coordinated by Nadene Lautenschlager.
Referrals come from persons directly contacting the coordinator, staff at the clinic, home care providers, ADRC, or anyone who is aware of a need someone may have for assistive equipment.
It is our intention to provide this service to as many as possible, but please be aware we have a limited amount of equipment and keep the following suggestions in mind when making a request:
- Identify the needs of the person as soon as possible when it is determined medical equipment may be needed. It is the responsibility of the individual making the request to discuss needs with their medical provider, therapy professional or home care provider to ensure the appropriate items are requested.
- Call Nadene Lautenschlager at home 715-384-5217 or cell 715-207-3205 to request assistance. If necessary, leave a message and the call will be returned ASAP.
- An alternative to our closet is the Good News Project in Wausau at (715) 843-5985. Arrangements would need to be made to pick up the items as they do not have a delivery service available.
- Equipment requests will be addressed within 24 hours. If a request has not been addressed within 24 hours, please contact the church office 715-384-2484, Monday thru Friday 9 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- All requests for equipment will require a signed loan agreement which includes the patient’s name and phone number and a separate contact person and phone number.
- The borrower or their representative will be responsible for picking up and returning the equipment.
- The estimated length of time for equipment will be used will be documented on the loan agreement form. We will be using this as a guide to determine when we may anticipate the item(s) will be returned.
- The person(s) borrowing equipment will be contacted when the amount of time documented has lapsed, or at most 6 months after the loan, to see if the equipment continues to be in use. If that is the case, arrangements can be made to extend the loan.
- There is no charge for borrowing our equipment, but donations are gratefully accepted.
Items available from the First Presbyterian Church Medical Equipment Loan Closet
(Please note, there are limited numbers, so something may not be available at a given time)
- Wheelchairs – adult regular as well as chairs which can be reclined
- Wheelchair cushions
- Knee supported scooter – used to support the knee so no weight is put on the foot
- Walkers – folding with and without wheels including bariatric size walkers
- Walker trays
- 4-wheel rollator walkers with seats including bariatric size
- Canes – various lengths and styles
- Crutches – various heights, including Lofstand style
- Shower Chairs
- Shower Benches
- Commodes – including bariatric size
- Raised Toilet seats with and without rails
- Toilet mounted support rails
- Hospital bed, mattress and ½ rail on each side – head and feet adjust remotely
- Small bed rails –supported by an extension placed between the mattress and box spring
- Full length bed rail with release to drop the rail to the side of the bed
- Hospital style bedside tables on wheels
- Trapeze frame that attaches to the bed and allows the patient to lift themselves up in bed
- Transfer boards
- Magnified screen reading machine (for those with macular degeneration)
- Artificial fleece pads for use by those with sensitive pressure areas
- Some other miscellaneous items.