The REUNIR project was developed by the Immigration Action Team, part of the Outreach program at First Presbyterian Church in Marshfield, WI. Our concern is for those children and parents separated at the U.S.-Mexico border. REUNIR means to “bring together,” which is both a Christian and humanitarian aim.
Our purpose is multifold:
- To keep awareness focused on this human tragedy, which truly transcends politics
- To promote dialogue and engagement between people about the current state of family separation policies and the short and long term devastation
- To encourage advocacy for national policy changes to reunite families, and to resist policies that create this separation in the future.
- To encourage financial support of the organizations who are working toward reunification of families, and for long term policy changes.
We have created bracelets, with an intentional Spanish word and broken hearts to reflect the emotion of the current situation. We will be giving these bracelets out free of charge, to increase awareness and begin conversations.
You have the bracelet, NOW WHAT?
- Wear it until all immigrant children are reunited with their families and not in detention camps at the US/Mexican border.
- Talk with everyone you can about the importance of reunification and encourage others to get a bracelet and join us in taking action.
- Contact your government representatives calling for an end to policies that separate children and families. www.govtrack.us/congress/members
- Like and follow us on Facebook Reunir – Reuniting Families at the Border and Twitter @Reunir12 where you can share your concerns and the action steps you’ve taken.
- Donate to groups actively working with children at the border for reunification
Our intention is to build a community of support and advocacy. We created a Facebook page where we hope people will share: where they live (on our interactive map), what kind of dialogue has come from wearing their bracelet, and any action steps they have taken (letter writing, phone calls, financial contribution, volunteer activities). Please “like,” “follow” and share your engagement.
Walking the Talk:
Visit a site(s) and send financial support to those at the border.
KIND – Kids in Need of Defense https://supportkind.org/
- ACLU of Texas Immigrant Rights Foundation https://www.aclutx.org/en/issues/immigrants-rights
- The Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights https://www.theyoungcenter.org
- PCUSA https://pcusa.org/situation/unaccompanied-children/